By Bonnie Bagley
National Board Representative
Happy New Year!
he ACBL Board of Directors (BOD) held its third meeting of 2016 prior to the Orlando Fall NABC at the tournament site, the Swan & Dolphin Hotel. Below is a report on actions taken at the meeting.
he first order of business was the election of the 2017ACBL President. Bob Heller of District 7 (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and eastern Tennessee) defeated Al Levy of D24 (New York City and Long Island).
We bid farewell to two BOD members: Beth Reid of D11 (Kentucky, Western Ohio, Central Indiana, and West Virginia) and Dan Morse of D16 (most of Texas and all of Mexico). Dan had the longest tenure on the Board, serving since 1993; that honor now goes to Al Levy, on the BOD since 1997. Paul Cuneo, the D16 First Alternate, is serving the remainder of Dan’s term and A. J. Stephani of Cincinnati was elected to the BOD to represent D11. We welcome them. Certainly the knowledge and expertise of Beth and Dan will be missed, but we look forward to the contributions of A. J. and Paul.
Margot Hennings of D6 (Washington, D.C., Virginia, and Maryland); Jay Whipple of D9 (Florida); Russ Jones of D10 (Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Central Arkansas, and Central Tennessee); Dennis Carman of D12 (most of Michigan plus Northwestern Ohio); Merlin Vilhauer of D20 (Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Nevada, and Hawaii); and Al Levy, D24, and I were reelected to three year terms on the BOD. Merlin Vilhauer was reelected to a three year term as a Zone 2 representative to the World Bridge Federation (WBF). Zone 2 (The U.S., Canada, & Mexico) has five representatives to the WBF.
Nancy Strohmer, Houston, Texas (District 16), was elected as a trustee of the Charity Foundation for a four year term. I was reelected as president of the Charity Foundation for a one year term.
Nancy Erickson, Indio, California (D22), was selected as the 2016 Nadine Wood Volunteer of the Year by ACBL President Ken Monzingo.
Eddie Wold, Houston, Texas (D16), was appointed 2016 Honorary Member of the Year.
Eldon Clayman of Valdese, North Carolina (D7), was selected as the 2017 Aileen Osofsky ACBL Goodwill Member of the Year.
Cost Cutting Measures
• Spring and Summer BOD meetings will end the day before the Board of Governors meeting.
• Excursions for BOD guests are eliminated, except by sponsor option.
• Board member per diem is reduced for meals provided by the ACBL or others to the BOD.
• The Wagar Women’s Knockout Teams is removed from the Summer NABC schedule.
• The Women’s Swiss Teams is removed from the Spring NABC schedule.
• A four session Women’s Pairs event is added to the Summer NABC schedule, to be named the Wagar Women’s Pairs.
• Players in National events will no longer play the same hands as those in regional events.
• Drops-ins are no longer allowed from teams events to premier pairs events.
• Automatic penalties were established for violations of the Electronic Devices Policy.
• Members of the BOD may not play in any event that conflicts with board meetings, although they are allowed to play in multiple-session teams events which have individual sessions that conflict with board meetings, provided that the member only plays in those sessions which do not conflict with board meetings.
Other Board Actions
• A new unit, Unit 254 in D16, was formed in the state of Guanajuato, Mexico.
• Approved holding online events at regional tournaments, using stated conditions as guidelines, for a period of two years
• Approved daylong online robot tournaments.
Motions that Failed
• That online points be excluded in the tabulation of total points earned for the lifetime masterpoint list.
• Board of Directors and Board of Governors meetings be recorded and placed on a website such as the ACBL site or YouTube.
• ACBL to provide a $200 subsidy for 3rd place district NAP winners and a $100 subsidy for the 4th place Flight B and Flight C finishers.
• When eight teams compete in Flight B or C in the GNT district final, a second team in that flight will also be considered eligible to compete in the national final of their respective category.
Space is short, so please contact me if you would like to know my vote on a motion, and the reasons therefor. To read the complete board meeting minutes go to my website bonniebagleyd17.comand click on Minutes.
hank you members of District 17 for three more years on the BOD. As I have stated before, this will be my last term. Please do not hesitate to contact me at 719 593-0205, or by email to email@example.com
See you at the Albuquerque Regional, January 16-22.